Monday, November 10, 2014

Classic Sandwich Turned Gluten Free


   Telling people I’m Gluten Free brings horrified responses of how they could not live without bread/pasta. I kind of understand but I don’t think they understand that no matter how much I like cake, bread, pasta and so fourth… It does not compare to having a rash that nothing would stop it for 10 years and having killer stomach aches every other day. Giving up bread is not too much to ask in that case. Honestly, discovering what was wrong feels like a miracle!
    Secondly you don’t have to give up bread/pasta and the like. You just have to make your bread out of flour made from something other than wheat. Rice, Corn, Potatoes…. are just some of the things that can be used.
    Going Gluten free I have also become a fan of more natural ingredients in other foods as well. The stricter I am with my diet the better I feel. (And when I say diet I mean Gluten Free and Natural not Fat Free &/or Sugar Free! Dear America, traditional dieting is making us fat!)
    Here I will give you a run down on a more natural gluten free way of making a Chicken sandwich.
Let’s start with the bread.
Udi’s Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread. +Udi's Gluten Free Foods 
   You’ll find this bread in a freezer sections. It’s also Dairy, Soy, & Nut free! (does contain eggs)
    Sometimes just one slice made into a sandwich is enough for me but on this night I was hungry! So going for a full sandwich. You know in bread made of wheat one slice is a serving?! Yeah, right… but with this bread it's two! And really this bread has more substance to it!
    In picture above we heat the bread in a pan to get it toasted and we are set with the bread.
Now what to put on it…
Just Mayo (by) Hampton Creek +Hampton Creek      Never seen this brand before but it’s pretty impressive with a pleasing taste. It’s Cholesterol-Free, Non-GMO, Soy Free, Egg Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Lactose Free, & Kosher. So you’re killing a lot of birds with one stone with this Mayo!
    It’s a small little bottle but has lasted a number of meals since.
    And I mean look, how cute is that with the plants coming out of the bar code?!
 
On the side… Farmer’s Garden by Vlasic - Bread and Butter
    This is a lovely find! The labeling and bottling hark back to another era! And the best thing is… so does the taste!
   I was in a store that had a number of brands I was not familiar with such as with the Mayo above and the way this is packaged you have to actually read the label to realize it’s a major brand most known for pickles! These are made by Vlasic but taste more like what your mother made… or Grandmother, as my dad says they taste like the pickles his mother made.

   This line of pickles come in a number of flavors. We tried Bread and Butter to start with. Since then I’ve also tried Kosher Dill…. *Smile*
Not only are there cucumber pickles but carrots and red peppers in the Bread and Butter. There is Pickled Garlic in the Kosher Dill! I totally recommend these pickles! The site states: No Artificial Flavors, Artisanal Quality, and Hand Packed Ingredients.
 

Now we have three basic ingredients for this meal let’s add the last…
Perdue Chicken Breast +Perdue Chicken    I am very sensitive to chicken with additives. One of the few brands I can eat is Perdue. It doesn't bother the rest of my family like it does me but there is an agreement that you can taste it when there are additives and it makes me feel ill to even put it in my mouth! Yuck. Really at this point Perdue Chicken is the only raw chicken I have found that I can eat.
Time to eat!!!
Spread the Mayo on your toasted Undi's bread. Shred some Purdue white meat Chicken and pile it on to your liking… close. (Cut in half or quarters if you feel so inclined) Fish some Farmer's Garden pickles veggies out of the jar...
 A bottle of Aquafina and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment