Saturday, November 15, 2014

Hudson Valley Autumn - Croton Point




  One of the best places to see the colors of Fall is seeing it in the famed Hudson Valley. On this day it was still a little early for full color it was getting there though. But it was still pretty out anyway. Maples are really nice this year. Ranging from deep red to a tie dye effects of orange, yellow, and green.
    Day off, so taking time to look around a local county park in Westchester Co. in Croton-on-the-Hudson which is not only beautiful but also has an interesting history. Continue down the post to see some images I captured and a bit of Croton Point's history!
This outfit is basically the same as HERE.  Check it out for more info on the Jacket, pants, and shoes there.
Shirt:
Delicates Size Petite Medium (10-12)
RN# 93677
Made in China
Cup of coffee anyone??? This shirt is CUTE Covered in coffee beans and cups of steaming hot Mojo! Ok… yeah. This is actually from a set of PJs but worn like this it works for a casual outing. And keeps you warm on an Autumn day.
(I will forever give a shout out to my friend Jenny for getting me hooked on the coffee bean)

Hair:
ScUnci Hair clips
Maybe it’s a flash back from the 70’s but a way I’ve been wearing my hair all my life. Part down the middle. Clipped at the sides.
 
Makeup:
 
Again my darlings… you’re beautiful. You don’t have to wear makeup ALL THE TIME. That was for the 50’s and Donna Reed.
 
 
All I have on here is…
 
First a coat of Burt’s Bees Wax on the lips. It about my favorite chap stick. For the record, I’m not a huge fan of chap-stick…. I use it when my lips are dry cause, well it fixes the problem but other wise not a fan… I have discover a little trick to get my lip gloss to look better, as I do like lip gloss. After putting on a coat of chap-stick or clear'ish gloss and then apply your colored and/or glittery gloss.
 
Here I have used Avon Glazewear Sparkle and it does have a nice sparkle to it.
 
As for the Avon Moisture Therapy, I use it under my eyes. I don’t know how common it is but I will have problems with the skin under my eye’s drying and actually cracking. It’s rather unpleasant. So this kills two birds with one stone, moisturizing and sun protection!
 
Croton Point
   Croton Point Park is a rather large park in the town of Croton-on-the-Hudson kept by Westchester County. It has quite a bit of history in it. At one point half of it was a brick factory and the other a privately owned park, winery, and home of it owner. When Westchester Co. became the owners of the large bit of land starting in the 1920's they tore down a lot of the history. One such structure is what I'm going to focus on in this post. The Home of Richard Underhill.
 
  Croton Point was called by it's first owner "Sarah's Point" after his, William Teller's wife.
   In 1804 it was bought by Robert Underhill and then passed on to his two sons. The land was split and Richard Underhill, his son built an Italianate villa "Interwasser" in 1846 on it's far most point.

My mom standing in front of the Yews
   The house is long gone. A victim of the Westchester tear down. What does remain are 4 tall very old Yew trees.
   A plaque near the trees state:
 
"These four English Yews were planted by Dr. Richard Underhill in the mid 1800's when he lived here with his family. Their mansion stood nearby, overlooking the Hudson River. The Yews were purchased for thirty-seven and a 1/2 cents each from a nursery in Flushing, NY. They are now on the New York State Historic Tree Register."
 
 
What is a "Yew", you ask?
 
   Taxus baccata can reach 400 to 600 years of age. Some specimens live longer but the age of yews is often overestimated. Ten yews in Britain are believed to predate the 10th century
   It is a small to medium-sized evergreen tree, growing 10–20 metres Taxus baccata is a conifer native to western, central and southern Europe, northwest Africa, northern Iran and southwest Asia. It is the tree originally known as yew, though with other related trees becoming known, it may now be known as English yew, or European yew.
   This is my 2nd year visiting this park and again this year it had berries. Small bright red balls but with holes going into the center. Bazaar looking things. (see it here). The foliage has a pleasant Christmas fur like smell to it.
"Interwasser"
 
    Also while there I found a small hot air balloon! I don't know if it was from the scouts that had spent the weekend there or it was a hot air balloon gone astray but it was an interesting find. It didn't have any markings on it. I left it where I found it but it was interesting to look at. Made me think of the lanterns that work by the same principle as the lanterns in Tangled.
Where "Interwasser once stood. Home of Robert Underhill and family. Later used as a girls camp and the boys stayed in tents out side before cabins were eventually built. Four Yew tree remain with some foot prints of stone that was part of the basement
 
 

Websites you might want to check out:
 












No comments:

Post a Comment