Monday, December 29, 2014

Blue Christmas: Vintage Snow Dress by Alyce Designs


   Sometimes I run into vintage gowns that makes me scratch my head... this is one of them.
_____________________

     Size *16 *vintage (around a 10 in modern sizing)
     Vintage - Mid 1980's

   My mom some years ago back saw this dress at a yard sale and brought me back to see it. I ended up buying two gowns there. This one and the other, one which I wore in a production based on the writings of Edgar Allan Poe.
   Being a performer some of these odd designs can come in handy. While a formal gown in teal blue lame and sequined in shapes of snow flakes on the bodice makes a lot of since in a Christmas Parade, partially after the Disney hit Frozen came out! ... but in the mid 1980's.... Why?!?!
   You have to wonder what these dresses where worn to when they were new... did some poor girl actually wear this to a prom? I have to wonder about the histories of these gowns that leave me scratching my head in wonderment and then end up my collection of costumes.
   I totally enjoy them though! They are beautiful dresses! I just would love to know who wore them and why.
   My teal blue Alyce appeared in a parade this year and was worn for an event last year as well. I even used it in a music video.


   Alyce Designs started in 1968 by designer Alice Marie-Thérèse Hamm. She has dressed a number of Miss Americas. An interesting slide show of her life can be found here: Alyce Paris | History Timeline,
   The bodice is boned, strapless, and has a sweetheart neck. A shear fabric lays on top of the bodice and is what the rushed shoulder things are attached to and plunges in the back.
  To be honest those rushed straps bugged me from the day I bought it. I have even considered removing them and rearranging things... but no, I feel better leaving it as it is in this case. If the dress was in bad condition or not a designer piece I might, but respectfully I will leave it as Alyce made it. ...your welcome Alyce.
   If you want to drool over some sparkle look at what Alyce makes now!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment