Sunday, November 21, 2021

Buying Movie Memorabilia Jewelry on Wish.com (Is it worth it or a SCAM?)

 
Necklace was from Ebay that I believe was bought as an officially licensed item. On the back it is marked LGF & a tag on the latch with The Hunger Games & marked Lionsgate. These markings did not come on the other items. But you cane see they are all good quality.
I would have bought more official items had I got into the books sooner but it was no longer available by the time I became a fan!

 A few years ago I started buying off a website called Wish.com  This started off with me on Youtube watching videos of people buying really cheap priced stuff from them and seeing what arrived in the mail. There were some good laughs. I watched quite a few of these videos. It slowly dawned on me not everything they were getting was junk! The clothes, yeah 99.5% of that was laughable (there was this one video that was so funny... I wish I had the link but lost it) but the other stuff... hmmm, now that was interesting. So I downloaded the app to see what this Wish app was all about. Around this time I had recently bought a necklace and pin Mockingjay on E-bay. (If you do not know me I'm a bit of a Hunger Games fan) Wish had them too... plus more! They had one bracelet I really liked. It was around, if not under $2 !!!! It took PayPal which seemed pretty safe to give it a try so I did...


  I got it in the mail and was really happy with it! (To this day it looks as good as the day I got it besides a small area on the metal bar that corroded or it was glue that did something funny but nothing too bad.) AND Yes, it takes a long time to ship but when you are ordering something unusual you can't find just anywhere at such a good price I certainly will not complain! I eventually picked up a pair of Mockingjay earrings as well. Very detailed, highly recommend those too.

Anne Boleyn's necklace from Wish.com
& French hood I made based on portrait.
  Another item that caught my eye that I thought was pretty cool was a necklace. Pearls with a large letter "B". If you do not recognize this it is a replica of the necklace worn by Anne Boleyn wife of King Henry the 8th (the Tudor King who had 6 wives, beheading 2 including Anne) You can see more of my costume using this necklace on my Blog Post Here. I've had an interest in Henry and his wives since I was a teen. Family lore said we were related to them. I have come to find that there are a number of fans of this era. If you are into Broadway you probably are aware of the musical SIX. I have some thoughts on this production, good and bad but I will spare you at the moment as this post is not really about that. But should you know Six, Anne Boleyn also wears this necklace. I bought mine before that and was a bit surprised how famous that necklace actually is. If you should want one... I'm not sure they still carry them on Wish but I didn't pay much over $4 including shipping. Looks like you can still get is on Amazon.com for a little more but I'd recommend checking out Wish to see if you can snag one cheaper but prices have gone up on everything over the past few years. They all appear to be the same necklace being sold by different sellers. The pearls are not high quality (light weight plastic) so take that into account when buying but it's still a cool piece to have. So far mine has not turned but I've not worn it much. As I said the quality isn't the best so I baby it. You could paint it with clear polish to help insure it won't turn on you.


Post of the Titanic inspired ring on my Instagram
  Another item I have seen on Wish.com that I have seen a lot of but have not bought because I already had one is The Heart of the Ocean necklace from Titanic. I did however buy a ring clearly inspired by it.


   For Disney fans I found Belle's necklace from the live action version of Beauty and the Beast. Again I baby it a little in fear of it turning but it hasn't shown any signs that it wants too. However the chain is a different story. It has turned a little dark but like I said the pendant has not.
 Odd thing is it comes in more then one color of gold and though I've seen the movie and looked at pictures I don't know what color was used in the movie. I'm gonna assume gold but why did they make a choice of rose gold or gold? Reminds me of another necklace in the live action version of Aladdin... but anyway, I ordered it in Rose Gold cause I just really like Rose Gold, you don't see it much in real jewelry these days.
  My mom liked this necklace so much that she wanted one and she had never even seen the movie!
  I don't believe these are officially licensed. You can get them that are though. They look a little bit different in style but I'm not quite sure which are the most accurate due to the fact I have hardly seen any close up shots of the real necklace. Maybe there are some out there I just had a hard time finding them. I'm not a huge fan of this film so... I'm not that concerned with accuracy. But if you are, I'm giving the info I have in case it helps you find the best reproduction to fit your needs. As for cost this one will be a little cheaper. I payed not more the $4 for it I think it was in 2019.
 Side note: There is a lot of hate on this dress and I personally think it was a horribly bad design for the iconic yellow dress... however just looking at it as a stand alone dress I have to admit it's gorgeous. And I'll leave it at that for now.

 One thing I like about Wish is their return policy. Yes, you will get duds and sometime things just don't arrive on time or at all. After years I have yet not been able to get my money returned nor did I actually have to return an item. Case in point is this necklace I bought right before the pandemic struck. A year before I read the series The Maze Runner (Blog on that HERE) after that I watched the movies. I liked both thought they are wildly different from each other.

  Looking on Wish I came across this necklace based on the maze in the movie. I don't know if this was a knock off of a real product or what but the quality was not great. The latch was broken and the maze is stamped slightly off. While it's a neat item I would suggest you not pay much for it if you do want to chance that yours might arrive in better shape then mine. I got my money back. But did not have to return it. I have worn it in irony now that the whole thing was about a pandemic... I even wore it to get my first Vax. As you can see I just used a safety pin to keep it on. I could do a better fix but hey, this works... (btw: I wish they had done one of Newt's necklace)

No comments:

Post a Comment